PCAT - Steve's Kielbasa and Sauerkraut Dinner

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I am quite blessed because the two most important men in my life are good cooks. The first one is my papa whom I have mentioned in the introduction of Project Cook and Tell. The second is my hubby who throws stuff at a pan until it looks like dinner.

Anyway, the recipe I am sharing with you today is one of the products of my hubby's tasty imagination. I had to watch him make it because he doesn't consciously take note of what he's doing in the kitchen.




Here's what you will need:
  • 1.5 lb (~ 0.7 kg) Polish Kielbasa Smoked Sausage*
  • 1 qt (946 ml) Sauerkraut
  • 1 can 15 oz (425 g) Sliced New Potatoes
  • 1 Tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
And this is how it's prepared:
  1. Cut Kielbasa into bite-size pieces. (For my hubby, bite-size means slicing the sausage into 1/2-inch thick pieces)
  2. Put the Kielbasa in a non-stick skillet and cook over medium heat until the sausage gives off its oil. Drain the oil and discard it.
  3. Add in the Sauerkraut, garlic powder, chopped onions, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir.
  4. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the juice from the Sauerkraut has mostly evaporated.
  5. Add in the potatoes. Continue to simmer until all the liquid has dried up.
* Special note from Steve, Kielbasa is Polish (and Russian) for sausage so the label on the brand we are using is sort of redundant.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will find it called Polska Kielbasa which is literally Polish sausage in the Polish language. -Steve